Python as an Object Oriented Programming Language

Tom nonotreally999 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 22 14:29:58 EST 2002

Laura Creighton <lac at strakt.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1040533770.24149.python-list at python.org>...

> <snip>
>
> It is probably not a good idea to judge real programming communities
> by usenet newsgroups that refer to the same language.  This is because
> when the places become hostile and nasty, the really decent people
> leave, saying 'this is a waste of my valuable time, and besides it
> hurts too much'.  Then new people do not join, because they have better
> things to do as well, even if it is taking them a heck of a lot longer
> to do them because they don't have anybody to answer their questions.
>
> Absolutely everybody I have talked to about this has said that this is
> inevitable and it will happen to comp.lang.python as well.  That is why
> so many of us make such a huge effort to prove these people wrong.  We
> know we have something special here.

Inevitable, eh?  That's a bit depressing, but it has the feeling of
truth about it.  Perhaps that's how newsgroups age.

Fortunately, c.l.p. seems still to be in it's prime.  As long as
un-c.l.p.-like behavior is responded to as it has been in this thread,
I think we're in good shape.  As long as we keep seeing newbies
joining the community because they like the language and they see
others asking newbie questions without getting trashed, the community
will keep growing and the discourse will tend to stay civil.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.