Wet Dream--python to native compiler

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Dec 14 05:07:00 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1039843279.31621.python-list at python.org>, Laura
Creighton <lac at strakt.com> writes

>1. Universities aren't impressed by Compiler Writing any more. (Been
>   done before, they say).
>
>2. There are too many languages, so any given Language gets a fraction
>   of what they would have got when 'there was Lisp ....  and there
>   was everything else'.  <Smiling warmly at the Lispers who are saying,
>   huh? But _nothing_ has changed ...>
>
>Laura Creighton
It's interesting that at Imperial College, where I worked happily for
many years, the computing department (famed for its interest in prolog,
the alice machine, star wars etc etc) seems to be very interested in
applications. Is traditional computer science dead? What are the hot
topics? Do people still worry about paging strategies? I see from the
Linux kernel lists that practical people still mess about with their
VM's, but what's really going on in CS?
--
Robin Becker