Using Python for business app development

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Dec 26 07:58:40 EST 2002

In article <e0659434.0212221300.57f24cdd at posting.google.com>,
Joe Bolton <krbolton at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>My Technology company is currently evaluating Python for use as a
>x-platform dev tool for developing business apps (GUI and/or Web based
>accounting type apps). We have developed for years on proprietary type
			.
			.
			.
>have found. There does not to seem to be alot of accounting type
>applications avaliable that were developed with python. Is there a
>reason(?) since it appears to have the capability. We are looking at
			.
			.
			.
Yes.  Several, in fact.

I take your question to expand this way:  "Python
appears to be an apt language for development of
'accounting-type applications', yet it also ap-
pears that little has been accomplished in this
direction; is there a hidden technologic impedi-
ment or other factor preventing success in such
a goal?"

Pythonic arithmetic is slightly different from
what your OS/400 background might lead you to
expect.  What it means to "make the pennies come
out correct" is a frequent topic in this forum.
While I think the question is well-settled by
now, you might not find the answer entirely
satisfying.

Python's no worse off than other languages,
including Java, in this regard, though, and
better than most.  The other main reason Python
accounting achievements seem to be meager is
"historical accident"; simply happens to have
turned out that most people working in Python
have concentrated on other goals.  Python is,
in fact, a great vehicle for accounting appli-
cations.  I expect you'll be quite happy with
your choice.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net