Use of python

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Dec 6 09:40:52 EST 2002

In article <3DECF7AC.40609 at SPAMMERS_GO_AWAYyahoo.com>, rui rojas wrote:

> I'm new at programming and I've been adviced to start with Python. I
> have read the tutorials and understood the basis. I have anready been
> able to make little programs but I still don't get the main point: what
> kind of fun or useful things can you program

The definitions of both "useful" and "fun" are extremely
subjective.  Perhaps you would find my "fun" program
entertaining.  I'll give a 99% gaurantee you'll find none of my
"useful" programs useful.

For fun:

  ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/python/queens.py

For useful:

 * programs to drive serial ports in various ways (testing
   serial device drivers under Linux and Windows).

 * decoding Ethernet traffic that uses proprietary Ethernet
   protocols [some day I need to figure out how to write an
   Ethereal plug-in -- too bad it can't be don in Python].

 * analyzing text file traces produced by other programs

 * programs to generate Ethernet traffic using a proprietary
   protocol (both contolling and simulating a custom device).

 * GUI user interface for controlling/configuring a Linux
   device driver.

 * programs to generate HTTP requests so that I can manipulate
   a device's web-based configuration in "batch mode"

> (don't compare please, remember this is my first language :O))?
> or, in other words, what do you people, program on it?? Is my
> problem that i don't know all the modules, or that python needs
> to be complemeted with other languages or what???

Learning what the available modules do is going to go a long
way towards showing you the types of things people have found
useful in the past.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm into SOFTWARE!
                                  at