examples of CGI "games" with Python

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 13 10:34:19 EST 2002

[Erik Max Francis]
> Okay, well that's fine; strategic games certainly could be reasonably
> implemented in CGI with pure HTML, but tactical games or games with a
> high degree of interactivity like Nethack or (say) Empire definitely
> would not.

And do you have any ideas about a good design for it?  There is a
design problem with the gamelogic (server side) that does a turn say
every 30 seconds.  Users can send commands via CGI, commands get
queued up till a maximum, 10 or so.  I am not comfortable with unix,
should I start a background job that takes the turns, write data to
files?  I read something about ``crontab`` but I have no idea what it
is and my access to the machine that provides the CGI is limited.
A completely different idea is to have an application that does a
CGI-nextturn request every 30 seconds...of course this has to be
hidden from ordinary users :-)

> There are plenty of strategy games out there that are implemented with
> CGI; the first popular one that I'm aware of (it may indeed be the first
> 4X game in CGI) is Stellar Crisis.  Since then there has been a huge
> proliferation, such that there are several entire Web sites devoted
> simply to listing Web games.  I have links to some on my Web page:
>
> 	http://www.alcyone.com/max/links/games.html#Web_games

An *impressive* list !
Do you know if any of them use Python?