64-bit python build

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.nospam.org
Wed Aug 28 09:42:17 EDT 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:51:19 -0400, Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net>
wrote:

: > ... the problem was in test.test_b1, where at line 550 there is:
:>     list(xrange(sys.maxint / 4))
:>
:> I didn't wait long to see if a MemoryError would be catched :) since I
:> was running as root, and when a root process on Irix requests for
:> memory, you can't know for sure which process will be killed to free
:> more RAM...  Later on, I ran again as another user, MemoryError was
:> raised in test_b1 ok,
:
:What would you like to happen instead when running as root?  Is there a way
:to rewrite the test to give you the behavior you want, without making the
:test useless for other users?  Don't answer here <wink>; if this remains
:interesting to you, please write it up in a SourceForge report.

The question I'd raise is whether this is an "interesting" test
strategy on an architecture where sys.maxint is a Big Number:
9,223,372,036,854,775,807.  I don't have a better test in mind, but
I'll point out I'm running into this elswhere (i.e., outside Python,
if that world even matters) on 64-bit architectures.

Mats

Mats Wichmann