64-bit python build

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou DLNXPEGFQVEB at spammotel.com
Tue Aug 27 14:00:05 EDT 2002

I did a 64-bit build of a recent CVS snapshot on an SGI Octane.  It
worked ok, I just changed the SYSTEM_PAGE_SIZE definition to 16 * 1024
in obmalloc.c, since this is the page size on 64-bit Irix machines.

bash-2.04# ./python
Python 2.3a0 (#18, Aug 27 2002, 20:24:55) [C] on irix646
>>> import sys
>>> sys.maxint
9223372036854775807

Of course, I also tried an import test.testall, and after a while the
poor machine started choking... the problem was in test.test_b1, where
at line 550 there is:
    list(xrange(sys.maxint / 4))

I didn't wait long to see if a MemoryError would be catched :) since I
was running as root, and when a root process on Irix requests for
memory, you can't know for sure which process will be killed to free
more RAM...  Later on, I ran again as another user, MemoryError was
raised in test_b1 ok, but I got a Bus Error in test_struct ("trying:
xcbhilfd").  Then I decided to go home, being hungry and all that.

I don't know if there is an interest for 64-bit builds, but if there is,
I can run more checks and provide any relevant patches at SF.  Should I
bother?
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
Real email address: 'dHpvdEBzaWwtdGVjLmdy\n'.decode('base64')