Problem running two Python interpreters on Darwin

John Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.net
Wed Aug 28 11:42:13 EDT 2002

In article <3D6C5C94.3020706 at something.invalid>,
 Greg Ewing <see_reply_address at something.invalid> wrote:

> I've just noticed a strange problem with Python
> 2.2.1 on Darwin (Kernel Version 1.4).
>
> I can start an interactive interpreter session
> in one shell window just fine. But if I leave
> that running and try to start a second one in
> another shell window, I get a Bus Error:
>
> basil% python
> Bus Error
> basil%
>
> To make matters even stranger, if I start the
> second one from within gdb, the bus error
> doesn't occur. (I discovered this while trying
> to find out where the bus error was coming
> from. I hate heisenbugs!)
>
> Anyone have the foggiest what might be
> going on?

Which of the many "flavors" of Python did you build?  I suspect you
don't have the problem with a "pure Unix" build (such as Apple
included...Python 2.2...with Mac OS X 10.2) but only with one of the
forms that includes the framework stuff.

At least, I don't have the problem in 10.2 with the Apple-supplied
build, nor did I have it with my own "pure Unix" build from last spring.

  --John