Tix/Tk Module frustrations HELP!

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Thu Aug 22 16:04:01 EDT 2002

Quoting Michele Simionato (mis6 at pitt.edu):

> It didn't work on my system (Red Hat 7.2). I created the symbolic link
> but ...

> 1
> 1
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tix.py", line 213, in __init__
>     self.tk.eval('package require Tix')
> TclError: couldn't load file "/usr/lib/libtix": /usr/lib/libtix.so:
> undefined symbol: XLowerWindow

Yes, sounds like you're having a different problem than I was. I, too,
am using RedHat 7.2, but I installed Ximian Gnome at one point, and
I've installed a few of RedHat's bugfixes, etcetera -- I can't be sure
the behavior of my system will mirror yours.

And the third item would break it. But it's been a while (2? 3
weeks?) since I fought with this demon. I was just tipped off
(wrongly) by the /usr/lib/libtix thing.

One thing that you may check into (and maybe it won't help): if you
recompile Tcl, Tk, and Tix, none of the three set up the proper
symbolic links in /usr/lib. You need to go in there and muck around
and clean up the symbolic links yourself.

Also, after you've been mucking around in /usr/lib, run ldconfig to
make sure the dynamic linker's cache is up to date.

Hope that helps if nothing else does,
--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts <geoff at gerrietts dot net>     http://www.gerrietts.net/
 "Politics, as a practice, whatever its professions, has always been the