Tix/Tk Module frustrations HELP!

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Thu Aug 22 15:15:29 EDT 2002

Geoff Gerrietts <geoff at gerrietts.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1029965981.6533.python-list at python.org>...
> Quoting Geoff Gerrietts (geoff at gerrietts.net):
> > To fix this problem (after almost a day of being very pissed off and
> > wondering what the hell was wrong with my linker), I had to put a
> > symlink in /usr/lib:
> >
> >   ln -s /usr/lib/libtix.so /usr/lib/libtix
> >
> > Everything worked like a charm after that, but it has left me a little
> > sour on using Tix.
>
> Um, I /do/ recognize that this is less a "fix" than an "ugly, hackish
> workaround", but I didn't get into the source code to track down the
> actual problem.
>
> I suspect this is a configure-time problem of some sort, because
> /usr/lib is found properly, but the .so is not. But I haven't gone
> after it.
>
> --G.

It didn't work on my system (Red Hat 7.2). I created the symbolic link
but ...

1
1
>>>import Tix
>>> Tix.Tk()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tix.py", line 213, in __init__
    self.tk.eval('package require Tix')
TclError: couldn't load file "/usr/lib/libtix": /usr/lib/libtix.so:
undefined symbol: XLowerWindow

                                           Michele