Python GUI

Andy Salnikov a_salnikov at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 30 13:58:43 EDT 2002

"Tim Roberts" <timr at probo.com> wrote in message
news:uniomu8pdi7tm169b4g6225d5oqdrkj2go at 4ax.com...

> Much more important, in my view, is that KillerApp on Windows should look
> and feel like a Windows app, and KillerApp on X should look and feel like
> an X app.  That way, I don't have to "relearn" my conventions just for one
> app.

  The problem with X is that it has many more look and feels than on
Windows.
Which one do you prefer - Xt, Motif, KDE, Gnome? Or do you want you app's
look and feel depend on whether do you run it under KDE or Gnome? What
if you run it under neither of this two? The questions on X are so numerous
that sometimes I think that it might be asier to bring Windows look and feel
(which I personaly kinda like) into X.

> If we accept that (and I always accept everything I say), then the most
> sensible approach is to use the native widget set, so that you inherit the
> standard native framework.  To me, wxPython is a great example of a
toolset
> that has achieved this goal.

  Which "native set" does wxWindows use on X? My understandig taht it uses
ether Motif or GTK, which _you_ have to choose. Why then KDE is not native?
I do not think you can define very well what is native on X, unless you want
restrict yourself to Xt (which is dull).

   Cheers,
  Andy.