Python GUI

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Aug 28 14:52:52 EDT 2002

In article <uniomu8pdi7tm169b4g6225d5oqdrkj2go at 4ax.com>, Tim Roberts wrote:

> In my opinion, your first approach is the better one: use the
> native widgets wherever possible.

Definitely.

> Why?  Familiarity.  Lots of marketing departments have the
> "cross-platform" bullet item disease, but the fact is that
> very, very few people actually use a single application on
> multiple platforms.  Thus, having KillerApp on Windows look the
> same pixel-for-pixel as KillerApp on Linux is just not that
> important.

Not only is it not important, it's not desirable at all. (IMO)

After years of suffering I've finally managed to get used to
the Win32 GUI enough that I can switch back and forth between
Win32 and X without screaming.  I want X apps to act like X
apps and Win32 apps to act like Win32 apps.

If I had to use some sort of bastardized, least-common-denominator
GUI that's the same under X and Win32 but isn't "right" on
either, then I'd have to start screaming again.  And that
annoys the others in the office, so let's not do that...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! I want to mail
                                  at               a bronzed artichoke to