Promoting Python as web application development language

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Wed Aug 28 06:34:44 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1030486260.16451.python-list at python.org>, Richard
Jones <rjones at ekit-inc.com> writes:
| On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 9:02 pm, Erno Kuusela wrote:
|| well, zope is not exactly pythonic. it has things going for
|| it, but thinking of zope as a platform to write python
|| software for the web does not work very well imho.

| I completely disagree. Zope fundamentally consists of Python objects, which
| may have methods written for them (using Python) or have HTML rendering
| attached to them (using Page Templates). How is it not "pythonic"? Please
| don't mention DTML, because that would just indicate that you haven't looked
| at Zope for at least 12 months.

i admit that i have not used the zope releases that have come out in
the last 12 months, but i have been following its development.  page
templates (along with zodb) are one of the best ideas in zope in my
opinion.  infact i am looking forward to using page templates
standalone, but they do not really make writing code on zope easier.

the unpythonic feeling comes from being complex and unintuitive, and
cumbersome to develop for.  the object database makes editing and
version control and all the normal command line shuffling becomes
hard. developing and debugging "Products" is cumbersome compared to
writing straight python code. acquisition and related special
namespace rules are highly confusing. all the fancy features
that make zope good at what it does best in my opinion hinder
straightforward hacking.

then there's the fact that zope is huge. simple is beautiful.

  -- erno