GCC libraries and Python/ftplib

Al spohn at nospam.mayo.edu
Thu Aug 1 15:47:03 EDT 2002

[This followup was posted to comp.lang.python and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article <m3ofcmpkk4.fsf at mira.informatik.hu-berlin.de>,
martin at v.loewis.de says...
> Al <spohn at nospam.mayo.edu> writes:
>
> > ImportError: ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/python: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open
> > failed: No such file or directory
> >
> > Does this mean I need to install the GNU/gcc stuff?
>
> libgcc_s.so.1 is a really small shared library introduced with GCC
> 3. You can find it as part of the libgcc 3.1 package on sunfreeware.com.
> You can throw away all other files in that package.
>
> Make sure ld.so.1 will find libgcc_s, by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
> putting libgcc_s.so.1 into, say, /lib (although Solaris sysadmins will
> shoot me for that advise :-)
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Thanks Martin.  Is there no way to get that library other than via the
package?  After downloading the 3.1 libgcc package most of the morning I
maxed out on space again.

Thanks again,
Al