PyGetString method

Mikhail Sobolev mss at harvester.transas.com
Fri Aug 9 09:12:53 EDT 2002

[ I did try ActivePython list as I am using ActivePython, but have not got any

As far as I understood the documentation, PyGetString method allows to
"create" a string, for which we only have an address.

In my case, I get an address of such a string using SendMessage funtion, and
the address is the result of SendMessage.  So the my code looks like:

    addr = SendMessage(window_of_interest, WM_USER, short_arg, long_arg)
    str = PyGetString (addr)

The question is: what kind of string is expected at addr?  It looks like
the string should be Unicode one, while the documentation does not say
anything about that.

In my case, the string is not Unicode, it's just plain 8-bit, zero-terminated
string.  And the program does crash at PyGetString call.  I am using
ActivePython 2.1.3, build 214.

Do you have any hints on what can be done in this case?

Thanks

--
Misha