Is it worth learning python?

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Thu Aug 22 15:32:49 EDT 2002

On Thursday 22 August 2002 12:17 pm, Matthew Sherborne wrote:

> I think non-it-savvy employers look for degrees because they have no
> other way of measuring.

Here in the SF bay area / Sillicon valley whenever the job market gets tight
the want ads say "degree required".  It appears to be an easy way to reduce
the number of resumes they have to read.  Just about anyone with a clue
realizes that while a degree is a good indication most good programmers have
not gone to or perhaps finished college.

That said, if you can find a good degree program I recommend it.  Anyone can
learn to program.  However some of the truly deep hacking requires learning
that is very hard to get as on the job training.  I find that I run into
places where a class I was scheduled to take would have made it possible for
me to work on a project but unfortunately I dropped out just before more
junior year finished.