Is it worth learning python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Aug 22 19:04:34 EDT 2002

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On Thursday 22 August 2002 12:17 pm, Matthew Sherborne wrote:
> >
> > I think non-it-savvy employers look for degrees because they have no
> > other way of measuring.
>
> Just about anyone with a clue
> realizes that while a degree is a good indication most good programmers have
> not gone to or perhaps finished college.

I'm not sure about "most", but that's probably an impossible discussion. :)

I've found that more than 90% of programmers I've met who do not have
university degrees simply do not have the depth and breadth of
experience to qualify as what I would call "software engineers".

On the other hand, I have a university engineering degree and
I would say that more than 90% of the students in my graduating
class, not to mention many of those from the Math/CS department,
simply do not have the depth and breadth of experience to qualify
as what I would call "software engineers". :)

The degree or lack thereof is far from being the most relevant
factor in this issue.

-Peter