wxRadioBox : start with none selected?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Aug 2 01:30:38 EDT 2002

chris <> wrote:

>how do i set a radiobox to default to no choice until the user
>chooses?  i need the "mouse click" for further processing, and if it
>stays on its default, it seems there is no
>wxEVT_COMMAND_RADIOBOX_SELECTED event.
>
>i realize the selection can be passed even if the user does not
>actively click on it, but I have no way of knowing if they have agreed
>to the default, or not gotten that far yet - each selection leads to
>other choices in real time, so it's not a "submit when finished"
>setup.

Not with a wxRadioBox.  It automatically chooses a default for you.  Have
you thought about adding another option at the top saying "Please pick
one"?

>this seems like an option that i can't find, since it seems common you
>might not want to predispose the user to a choice.  something along
>the lines of wxRadioBox.SetSelection(none).

Actually, it IS rather uncommon.  Folks would often forget to make that
default choice when using radio buttons, so the designers of wxRadioBox
made it automatic.

>ps, if thtis was IMPOSSIBLE, i could fall back on using two radio
>buttons instead of each radio box, since they start unselected, but
>that might be a huge pain, and would be giving up.

Yes, that's another option.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.