Standalone ZPT?

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri Aug 23 02:52:29 EDT 2002

Paul,

> I've also written a template system which uses 'id' attributes, [...]
> it uses the various XML libraries

In an ideal world I'd have done the same, but I wanted something that
worked with partial HTML and 'invalid' HTML.  I also wanted it to work
"out of the box" with Python 1.5.2 for a couple of dull reasons.

> and deserves to be a bit faster

For intensive work I'm sure you're right, but for simply setting the
values of a few controls, or stitching together several components
into a single page, I wonder whether the XML approach doesn't carry
too much overhead.  I speak from total ignorance, however...

> [Paul's system] requires the data
> used in the final output to originate from an XML document [...]
> If XML-centric projects aren't your thing, then I can imagine that
> this might cause your interest to be discontinued almost immediately

'Fraid so!  8-)  I'm not dealing with XML at all - the only reason I
mention it in relation to PyMeld is that PyMeld might be a good
solution if you're looking for a quick way to tweak XML, or if you
need to deal with XML-style data that's not actually valid XML.  It's
deliberately informal and unrigorous - sometimes that's what you want.
 Caveat adoptor.

> I haven't released this work yet [...] partly because I became
> ambitious

That's another reason PyMeld is super-simple - I needed it to be
finished before the end of the decade!  I have any number of
half-finished projects that I never completed because I "became
ambitious"... it's the curse of the enthusiast programmer.

--
Richie