GCC libraries and Python/ftplib

Al spohn at nospam.mayo.edu
Thu Aug 1 10:19:06 EDT 2002

Most of my experience has been on linux, but I've stumbled across a sun
box runn OS 8 that I wanted to put Python on but is pretty well stripped
bare of everything (including a C compiler) except Perl.  Using pkg-get
seemed to get the Python binary installed okay, but now I'm finding when
I try to import ftplib, I get the following:

>>> import ftplib
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/ftplib.py", line 46, in ?
    import socket
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/socket.py", line 41, in ?
    from _socket import *
ImportError: ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/python: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open
failed: No such file or directory

Does this mean I need to install the GNU/gcc stuff?  I know I don't have
room for the whole suite (which is why I went after the Python binary,
i.e., no compiler)... so if this is the problem, is there a subset of
the gcc package that I could get away with to get Python and it's
packaged modules to run?  If this isn't the problem, any ideas?

Thanks a bunch,
Al