2.2.1c2 test_fcntl hangs

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Apr 8 07:49:37 EDT 2002

Andrew MacIntyre <andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au> writes:

> On 6 Apr 2002, Jochen [iso-8859-1] Küpper wrote:
>
> > With latest cvs release22-maint (April 6, 1am EST) test_fcntl hangs.
> > (I couldn't find any postings about this.  I think I have seen this
> > before myself, though...)
>
> I don't believe there have been any recent changes that might have
> provoked this - at least I don't remember any checkins on the 2.2
> maintenance branch (or the head branch for that matter) that would seem
> plausible as causes (not that I'd rely too much on my memory either).

Nothing substantive has changed in Modules/fcntlmodule.c in *years* (a
large pile of constants have been added, the functions now take file
objects as well as file descriptors and something changed for os/2-emx
support -- but that's not on release22-maint).

> If you have succeeded in building from the 2.2 maintenance branch before,
> what was the checkout time of the last successfully built tree?
>
> Have you changed anything else on your system in similar timeframe - such
> as glibc?
>
> Please report this to the SF bug tracker.  I'd suggest assigning it to
> Michael Hudson, as 2.2.1 patch czar.

Indeed; posting bugs to comp.lang.python two days before release is a
staggeringly bad way of going about it.  Cc:ing me is ever so slightly
preferable, bugs on sf (assigned to me, in the 2.2.1 candidate group)
is better.

Though, unless the bug is clear and the fix is obvious, it ain't going
to get fixed at this stage.

Cheers,
M.

--
  Not only does the English Language borrow words from other
  languages, it sometimes chases them down dark alleys, hits