restructured pythonpoint [was Re: The fastest XML parser around]

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Mon Apr 1 18:21:18 EST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:00, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Not yet.  The simplest thing would be to add a 3-line hack to validate
> the document if pyRXP is present :-)
>
> I plan to rewrite pythonpoint using our XML toolkit - indeed, use it
> as the exercise in the manual - but we need to finalize two more components
> first:  a 'lazy accessor' giving friendly syntax for navigating the tree,
> and
> something to convert attributes to numbers/lengths/colors en masse.
> After that the Pythonpoint code could get a lot shorter.  Some broad
> plans are in the back of the pyRXP documentation, referenced from
> the web page my announcement pointed at.

Just as an aside - I wrote a quick'n'dirty ReStructuredText
(http://structuredtext.sf.net/) to PythonPoint converter a few weeks ago. It
makes writing the slides a _lot_ easier as long as you don't want to get too
fancy (for example, don't indent a bullet list, 'cos the pypt renderer will
barf trying to place the bullet point in an indented paragraph).

The stx-to-pypt converter is checked into the ReST_ sandbox under the
richardj directory:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/structuredtext/sandbox/richardj/

    Richard

Example:

ekit Website
------------

*Richard Jones, Anthony Baxter*

*ekit.com Technical Conference, March 2002*

History
-------

- Blah blah blah blah blah
- Blah blah blah blah blah
- Blah blah blah blah blah

ekit At A Glance

- Blah blah blah blah blah
- Blah blah blah blah blah
- Blah blah blah blah blah

Page Structure

Either in frames or in a single table (shown below)

.. image:: page_structure.png

[and so on]