Php vs Python

Philipp Lenssen phil at mrinfo.de
Wed Apr 24 05:22:01 EDT 2002

"Ramil D. Tolentino" <ai.matrix at eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Could someone give me a run down between python and php. Which is
> easier to use? which is better or more powerful?
>..

PHP will make you put a $ preceding every variable, which is annoying (and
can cause errors, especially if you switch between languages). Python has
more restricted namespaces and private functions in classes, in other words
it's more organized than PHP. Python lacks a switch and ternary operator
which PHP doesn't. The syntax of Python seems to a bit more eccentric
compared to several languages, but I find the approach elegant and easy to
pick up. As for features I can't give you good insight as there's so many
functions and libraries available for both languages. The main PHP website/
online documentation is better than the official Python one. For newsgroup
support Python wins, compared to the german PHP group. The support for
Python on Apache servers seems to be a bit lower. The security in Python
seems to be a bit higher (no global post-variables, even though they're
fixing that in new PHP releases). XML support seems to be about the same at
the moment. Python wins in error handling. Python can be used for developing
offline GUIs.

In the end, this is just all my opinion from web development perspective.
and a matter of taste, and if you like the one or the other better and it
gets your job done that it's the best tool for you.