Java and Python

Geometric Engineer geo_engineer at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 7 22:08:04 EDT 2002

BUMBLEBEE BUZZ:

  I found this long message by you (snipped in quoted material) to be
very interesting and to confirm suspicions from past research. I plan
to carefully ignore pieces of paper and to look for those factors you
mention, among which especially is a "lack of snotty programming ego"
(as I'd put it undiplomatically), aside from my sad prejudice against
Perl (the most damnably unmaintainable language I've seen, other than
GW-Basic laced with uncontrolled out-of-scope GOTO's).

  How has your experience been anyway with tests of any kind to bring
out actual programming ability? Do you rely mainly on "look and feel"
from the interviews? I've found generally the people who know about a
subject will be able to explain simply and clearly how to work at it,
and that the people who don't know about a subject will talk lots but
give little real information, or worse, be actively confusing.

  Muttering Engineer