GNU GPL & Python stand-alone packages from py2exe

Ulrich Goertz u at g0ertz.de
Fri Apr 19 10:52:07 EDT 2002

Hi,

sorry to bring up licensing issues once again, but I need some
clarification on this. Say I wrote a Python application which
I want to publish under the GNU General Public License. Assume
I want to create a stand-alone distribution for Windows with
py2exe, put it on a CD ROM and distribute it. Now my questions:

1) Since the Python license is "GPL compatible" this should be
no problem, but what does that mean in practice? Can/should I put
the whole package under the GPL and omit the Python license?
Or can I just put my own code under the GPL, and use the
Python license for the Python part, although I bundle both
into one .exe-file and a few dll's?

2) Would I have to put the source code of the Python interpreter
on the CD, too? As far as I understand the wording of the GPL,
since I include the Python interpreter, that would indeed be
necessary. On the other hand, my understanding of the spirit
of the GPL (possibly wrong...) tells me that it might be
superfluous. In addition, it would be pretty cumbersome.

3) Would it be more suitable to release the source code of my
application under the GPL, and release the stand-alone package
under another ("closed") license which would not request the
source code to be included, and would not allow to modify the
program. That would enable me to distribute the stand-alone
without the source code of the Python interpreter, and ensure
that people that want to modify my program would have to take
the source code distribution and thus are bound by the GPL.

As a side note, I do understand that the GPL is not as free
as other licenses (the Python license, say), but I do not
want to give others the possibility to do what they want with
my code without any restrictions. So I think the GPL is
suitable for me. My questions are more about how to proceed
in practice in this case.

Regards, Ulrich