Python's Lisp heritage

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sat Apr 27 06:56:11 EDT 2002

"James J. Besemer" <jb at cascade-sys.com> wrote ...

[ ... ]
> 1. I think that's a fair statement.  Earlier in the week, someone
suggested I'd
> be more happy with Python after I was "reprogrammed" to think
"Pythonically"
> (which sounds like something L. Ron Hubbard would say.)  I understand that
> after a period of adjustment, people can function normally while wearing
> glasses that flip their entire field of vision upside down.  It takes a
few
> days to adjust after putting them on and another couple days to adjust
after
> taking them off.  So, although I can't disagree with your statement
(people
> adapt), I don't think it's a very strong point.  Humans are adept at
overcoming
> much more severe handicaps.

Don't quote me out of context, dammit. Just because you didn't detect the
humour didn't mean it wasn't there. And it waas "reeducated", not
"reprogrammed to think Pythonically".

People can also learn to ride bicycles where turning the handlebars to the
left turns the wheel to the right.

People can even learn to program in C, dammit.

Your problem is you just won't take those damned glasses off again now
you've got used to them.

[ ... ]
> 5. Finally, I think the problem here is that we're all making passionate,
> definitive statements about items that ultimately really boil down to
matters
> of personal preference.  And there's no accounting for taste.

True. But passion is a relative judgement. Programming languages and
operating systems stopped being a religious issue for me many years ago, and
so I tend to reserve passion for more appropriate activities.

regards
 Steve
--

home: http://www.holdenweb.com/