Anyone need a program written?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Apr 2 16:25:37 EST 2002

In article <3ca9e2bd at news.nwlink.com>, jeffbi at jetsoft.com says...

> One of my other goals is to have a newsreader that works (as much as
> possible) the same on both Linux and on Windows, so I was thinking
> that using Tkinter for the GUI would probably be the best way to accomplish
> that.

My personal recommendation would be to look at wxPython.  Tkinter
is a bit easier to pick up, especially if you have no previous
GUI experience, but it becomes difficult to do more complex
things with it.  Also, Tkinter apps always *look* like Tkinter
apps.  By contrast, wxPython (and wxWindows, which it wraps) uses
the platform-native widgets wherever possible, so a wxPython app
looks like a Windows app on Windows and a GTK app on Linux.
wxPython is also more flexible than Tkinter, and it doesn't rely
on another scripting language like Tkinter does (Tkinter relies
on TCL).

--

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer