Anyone need a program written?

Jeff Bienstadt jeffbi at jetsoft.com
Tue Apr 2 11:56:27 EST 2002

"Mindbomb" <Mindbomb at localhost.net> wrote in message
news:JLcfwNF0zPq8EwJm at nym.alias.net...

 [ interesting stuff about anonymous posting snipped ]

The anonymous posting stuff sounds interesting.  I'm still a bit
concerned about the spam issue, but I don't like the idea of
dis-allowing something useful because of how it *might* be used.

If it's useful, let's do it :-)

> >As far as your Python knowledge goes, I wouldn't worry about it.
> >My Python experience is currently measured in weeks, although
> >I've been doing the coding thing (mostly C/C++) for more years
> >than I care to admit.  I'm finding it surprisingly easing to learn;
> >the hard part is giving up my hard-earned C++ habits :-)
>
> Sounds like me, except I never did get my head around OOP, so I stuck
> with C (which is one of the reasons I want to get into python - C++ is
> just too arcane for my liking, it's like reading OS/390 assembler 3
> years after you wrote the code). My python experience weighs in at hours
> at the moment, although I just installed the laptop with a fresh copy of
> MDK 8.2 so I'll have a little play this week at work.
>
> >My goals for this project (personally speaking) are, in this order:
>
> >   1) Learn Python
> >   2) build a newsreader that I'm happy with
> >   3) build a newsreader that others are happy with :-)
>
> Sounds like a go-er to me. Are you a Windows man, or do you prefer the
> delights of the Linux/Unix graphical toolkits?

One of my other goals is to have a newsreader that works (as much as
possible) the same on both Linux and on Windows, so I was thinking
that using Tkinter for the GUI would probably be the best way to accomplish
that.

I'm currently using Outlook Express for news, and while I can't say that I
actually like it, it has some "features" that I've gotten used to, and I
can't
seem to find a Linux-based newsreader that behaves the way I've grown
accustomed to --- and I want one :-)

---jkb