Downloading pages from a Windows Intranet

Daniel Dittmar daniel at dittmar.net
Thu Apr 4 14:56:54 EST 2002

 > Trying to use urllib or urllib2 to get a page from our Intranet
 > (Windows) gives me an Access Denied error.  The funny thing is that on
 > some pages it works (?).  Any way, someone found a Perl module

MS has implemented an extension to HTTP where the client passes your
Windows user to the Web server and accesses pages using this user. This
works only when using the functions in WININET.DLL (I suppose).

 > from our intranet, even asp pages.  Is there an equivalent module or
 > functions that I could use from Python?  Or can anyone give me an
 > example of how to work around this?  Or should I just settle for a
 > Perl/Python solution?

1. You could pas your Windows user + password as an additional HTTP
header, although this (basic authentication) might be disabled on the server

2. you could look into the Win32 extensions if the functions in
WININET.DLL are made accessible from Python

3. You could make the web pages readable by 'Everyone'

4. You could indeed use the stuff ftom Perl

Daniel Dittmar