Building Python 2.1.x on Solaris

Oliver Erlewein oliver.erlewein at sqs.de
Mon Apr 15 05:17:27 EDT 2002

Hi all

I've got a large Zope-site. To run Zope I need to build python 2.1.x
on my Solaris (sparc & intel) boxes. But if I do a plain vanilla build
I have the following problem on the Zope side:

Zope is multithreading but if I run a big job then all other executed
jobs wait for the first big job before executig one after the other.
In short Zope runs single threaded.

I've also experienced similar behaviour on Linux. The thing is, that
as soon as I use precompiled stuff (RPM's) all works fine and
threading is no problem. Therefore I suppose that my standard build of
Python is missing something. So I'd like some comments on my build.

> make clean
> rm config.cache
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/lwp
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> ./configure –-with-threads
> make
> make install

I'm no pro what installing is concerned so please kee answers
understandable (sort of ....for dummies). Thanx a lot in advance!

Oh ... and I've searched the web & groups on the subject and the only
things that seemed interesting to me were OPT="-O2 -fPIC" and
CC="gcc". Do I have to use them and what do they do?

Please also respond to oliver.erlewein at sqs.de because I don't get this
group. Thanx.

Oliver Erlewein