Python-2.2.1, Solaris7, make test fails...

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 05:43:56 EDT 2002

On 17 Apr 2002, Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > > You did not build statically. Instead, all extension modules are build
> > > by setup.py now.
> >
> > I left *shared* commented out.  So that was not enough, and neither was
> > *static* apparently.
>
> To build all modules statically, you need to to add *static* (or just
> not add *shared*), and remove the comments for all modules that you
> want to build statically.

So:

#
# In addition, *static* reverses this effect (negating a previous
# *shared* line).

is ambiguous, because it does not reverse all the effects of *shared*?

> > gcc   -o python \
> > 		Modules/python.o \
> > 		libpython2.2.a -lsocket -lnsl -ldl  -lpthread -lthread   -lm
>
> Now we are getting somewhere. This line is wrong; it ought to have the
> option -Wl,-export-dynamic *if* you are using GNU ld. Can you tell
> whether you are using GNU ld?

I have tried to configure this in different ways:
configure
configure -- with-gnu-ld
changning the path to have /usr/local/bin at the front so gnu ld will be
found first.
In all these cases I can find no trace of /usr/local/bin/ld in the
config or make files resulting from running configure.

What else does it look for?  If I symling /usr/local/bin/ld to gld will
configure find it?