Python for .NET vs. Jython

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Tue Apr 16 12:57:02 EDT 2002

"Jonathan P." wrote:

> Jython is undeniably a very successful implementation of a language on
> the JVM.
>
> Considering Python for .NET is still very far from the level of
> maturity that Jython enjoys and the fact that the CLR is supposed to
> be designed from the ground up to support multiple languages (MS even
> commissioned and asked feedback from Mark Hammond and the others
> working with him on Python for .NET regarding the CLR), could it be
> the CLR is (ironically) less of a fit for Python than the JVM?

I think it is safer to say that magnitudes more effort have been spent
on Jython than on Python for .NET.

> If you read Jim Hugunin's original paper on JPython, it seems that
> from the beginning, Python on the JVM was a good idea and that,
> despite Sun's not designing the JVM for different languages, it
> actually turned out to be a really good fit for our favorite language
> after all.

Personally, I would say that if it were a "really good fit" then Jython
would be almost as fast as CPython. But I guess I'll agree that the fit
is surprisingly good for something that came about accidentally.

 Paul Prescod