Newbie's 1st Web App decisions!

Scrumpy reply at in_newsgroup.tks
Thu Apr 4 14:11:19 EST 2002

I want to learn Python for use in creating web apps and possibly to create
stand-alone apps with wxPython.

To help you Python scholars understand my limited programming/scripting
background I've;
1) Created apps within the following environments - dBASE IV, Lotus
Approach 2 & MS Access (an old version) with limited use of their related
languages and no standalone exes and;
2) Created/coded HTML4.01+CSS2 static freebie websites which included pages
of formatted data created by merging HTML templates with CSV databases.

Mainly my background is in IT/Network mgmt.

I'm a quick learner (self taught from books and web-based info. and a Ye
Olde college course ions ago!) and would like to get into Python web app
development as quickly as possible, even though I have not yet written a
significant line of Python code :)

There seem to be various projects which provide web app
servers/components/development frameworks. Quite a few seem to overlap ;-)
Here are one's I've looked at:
Slither http://slither.toolsofcomputing.com/
Webware for Python http://webware.sourceforge.net/
Skunkweb http://skunkweb.sourceforge.net/about.html
OSE http://ose.sourceforge.net/

There are also various projects which 'integrate' Python with
Apache/AOLserver:
Mod_Python
Mod_Snake
PyApache
Cheetah
PyWX

It look like I'm spoilt for choice and it's hard to decide where I should
direct my efforts.

As a side note, some of the comments made by Paul Boddie (
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-September/064133.html )
seem justified.

At the moment I'm considering using either Webware or Slither (not an easy
choice) and/or Mod_Snake (instead of Mod_Python - but hey, I'm a newbie
so...).

As far as books are concerned (a must) I'm thinking of buying
Web Programming in Python (this is written partly(?) by the folks from the
Slither project).
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130410659/qid=1017861581/sr=1-
3/ref=sr_1_3/104-5555059-2897528

and possibly
Learn to Program Using Python (in case I'm not as quick a learner as I
thought, hehe)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201709384/103-9771277-6190237

Webware seems to be one of the more respected projects and I get the
impression that it improves the productivity/time to completion for people
using it.

On the surface, Slither seems to cover more web app server bases than
Webware. I am interested in persistance with backend db's but am more drawn
to using Slither with mod_snake than mod_python. So far though, I have not
found any independant info on Slither (and nothing at all on Slither with
mod_snake) so input from users with experience of using Slither and Webare
would be most welcomed.

What I would be most appreciative of, is your helpful suggestions on how to
start in Python Web app development and on relevant books.

Finally (at last you cry!), although Zope is one way to go, as this is for
me primarily a learning experience, I would prefer to stay closer to Python
and 'perhaps' enjoy better web app performance. Zope does seem to be better
suited for creating CMS apps but I am not creating a CMS app :)

Bows and leaves the stage,
Scrumpy :)