Sending mail to an SMTP server that requires POP authentication ?

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 26 15:12:25 EDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 20:05:19 +0200
Alexander Skwar wrote:

> »Cliff Wells« sagte am 2002-04-26 um 10:43:54 -0700 :
> > Hm.  I think you'll have to log in with POP first, and then for some
predefined
> > period of time you'll be granted SMTP access.
>
> It depends.  What you describe is often called SMTP-after-POP or
> POP-before-SMTP.  However, he asked for SMTP authentication (smtp auth)
> as described in RFC 2554.  Those two don't have much in common.

The subject said "SMTP server that requires POP authentication".  Is that part
of smtp-auth?  I looked at the RFC, but see no mention of such (and am not
familiar enough with mail protocols to know).  I was guessing that since he
mentioned POP authentication that he was referring to POP-before-SMTP (and
mistakenly using smtp-auth to try to authenticate).

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)