GUI programming

Nhi Vanye offer at sgi.com
Wed Apr 3 14:02:26 EST 2002

$ from zeitlin at dptmaths.ens-cachan.fr -#192302 | sed "1,$s/^/> /"

>> I did NOT say that wxWindows doesn't build on these architectures.
>
> Your statement implied that there were problems with building it under SGI
>and/or Solaris without saying what those problems were. I wanted to know more
>details about this.

I haven't looked at wxWindows for years, but here's an out-of-date opinion :-)

Back in '98-99 I went through an tidied the wxWindows code up to accept
the stricter requirements that the MIPS Pro compilers have on SGI (ie
identified the gcc specific behaviour and modified it/wrapped it with
ifdefs). And fed all my changes back.

Three months later it was broken again---in different places. At that
point I got distracted with real work and let it go.

One of the things that tk has (and Qt for that matter) is that it works
out of the box without using gcc as its platform compatability
layer. That's not an unreasonable approach---I've known commercial
products that took the same approach, but it can raise issues for those
who don't use gcc).

> Regards,
>VZ

richard.

--
Richard Offer                         Technical Lead, Trust Technology.
"Specialization is for insects"