[Newbie] embed c++ in Python

rasmussn at lanl.gov rasmussn at lanl.gov
Tue Apr 2 19:24:51 EST 2002

On Monday, April 1, 2002, at 11:47 PM, Matthias Stern wrote:

>>> I want to know how to write a function which receives some variables as
>>> argument changes them and sends the results back to Python.
>
> Thank you for the links I got (http://www.scipy.org/site_content/weave
>  and http://www.acl.lanl.gov/siloon/ ). I've visited the sites and
> discovered a new problem: Both solutions require some additional
> stuff to be installed. Maybe it's much simpler to use them but it
> is quite hard to add some additional stuff like this to our project. It's
> a cross-platform project with many operating systems and we want as
> little additional programs as possible.

You really only have to install additional packages to create the Python
extensions (for Siloon at least and I assume for weave).  This is normally
a one time event (unless you plan on changing you API frequently).  Then
you can package up the Siloon generated code (along with maybe a few Siloon
header files) in your project and be done with it.

Unless you want everyone on the project to be able to generate the
extensions.
Then you would need to distribute the additional packages.

Regards,
Craig