2.1 vs. 2.2

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Sat Apr 13 18:41:37 EDT 2002

* Jens Baader <nospam at nospam.com> [2002-04-13 23:46 +0200]:
                      ^^^^^^^^^^

If you don't have permission of the nospam.com domain owner to use their
domain, you should stop abusing their services *now*. If you don't want
to get spam, I'd recommend you get a throwaway email address at a
freemailer.

> I'm downloading Python 2.2.1 right now and I wonder why you still
> produce bugfix releases for the old 2.1 development line.

Some projects are still using the Python 2.1 line, for example Zope.
Also, bugfix releases for older Python versions are done by volunteers,
not by the Python core team.

> It seems that Python 2.2 is somewhat broken.

It isn't. Bugfix releases are a service for those people that
standardized on a certain Python version for the current stable release
of their product. For example, AFAIK all Zope 2.4.x releases use Python
2.1.x. So a bugfix release for Python 2.1 is what Zope users need (I'll
ignore Zope 2.5 for the moment, dunno how stable it is).

In fact the main reason for releasing Python 2.1.3 was a fix for a bug
experienced in Zope.

> If not what's the reason that keeps the people from upgrading to 2.2?

Don't know. All the FUD that's currently spread about Python's
stability? ;-)

> Another question: When will we see an official ISO/ANSI standard for
> Python? [...]

Most probably: never.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930