Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Sun Apr 7 00:33:50 EST 2002

Andrew MacIntyre <andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au> writes:
> > Stable, mature software should be able to run for that long without
> > needing to be upgraded.  I find just can't expect that from Python.
>
> You appear to be saying that Python incorporates expiry logic, which
> causes a particular version to cease functioning correctly after some
> specified time.

Non sequtur.

> This of course is complete BS.  Likewise your whole argument is complete
> BS in the face of moves by a certain company towards subscription software
> with mandated upgrade schedules.

Another non sequitur.

> There are OS vendors who choose to imposing grossly out-of-date releases
> of 3rd party software on customers for their own selfish reasons.

Are you talking about Red Hat?  If a Python release as recent as 1.5.2
is already "grossly out-of-date", that confirms what I'm saying about
releases happening too fast.  The idea of stability and maturity is that
releases don't become grossly out of date anywhere near that quickly.

> You've said your piece to the point of being a broken record, and been
> informed that your POV is not accepted.

That's YOUR opinion.

> Please swallow future such utterances so that the positive
> contributions you've made to this community don't get lumped into
> irrelevence along with your whinging.

Stuff it.