Call for kjBuckets.c [was Re: relational database?]

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Tue Apr 30 19:55:40 EDT 2002

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:44, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:13:46AM -0400, Steve Holden wrote:
> > Gadfly is great for people who don't have an existing
> > relational system but want to do some Python experimentation with
> > database.
>
>    Other alternatives are BerkeleyDB with PyBSDDB wrapper

Not really a relational system... although if roundup's hyperdb bsddb3 backed
was working, it'd come close ;)

> and MetaKit with MkSql.

... and MetaKit isn't a pure-python relational system. Note that there's two
python bindings for MetaKit:

   http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/mksqlintro.html
   http://www.equi4.com/metakit/python.html

so I guess it's popular ;)

Gadfly's got the really neat feature of being able to create a Python class
that has the same interface as the gadfly SQL tables - and instances of that
class are then useable in any SQL query you want to throw at gadfly. I know
of at least one user who wrapped an snmp system in gadfly table classes and
that relational queries between the snmp data and regular table data. That's
pretty darned neat :)

    Richard