2.1 vs. 2.2

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Sat Apr 13 18:39:28 EDT 2002

Jens Baader wrote:

> I'm downloading Python 2.2.1 right now and I wonder
> why you still produce bugfix releases for the old 2.1 development line.

I think the main motivation is that the current Zope (since it relies on
the ExtensionClass extension) relies on Python 2.1.

> It seems that Python 2.2 is somewhat broken. If not what's the
> reason that keeps the people from upgrading to 2.2?

I don't see anything "broken" about 2.2.  The changes to the object
model invalidated extensions which relied on very deep characteristics
of Python 2.1 and earlier, such as ExtensionClass.  The next major
release of Zope will presumably be based on 2.2 (or later).

A more general issue, however, is that Python issues two releases
a year, and that's just too often for many commercial developers to
stop their own development and re-validate their code base.  So, such
a developer will typically choose a certain specific line (such as 2.2.*)
and stick with it for longer than six months -- anything from 12 to 24
months is more typical, and longer cycles not unheard of.  Bugfix releases
(such as 2.2.1) help such developers enormously.

> Another question: When will we see an official ISO/ANSI standard
> for Python? I dislike working with nonstandardized languages.

Funny -- for years I've worked mostly with such a standardized language
(and I'm still a Brainbench MVP for C++), and never did I find two
implementations that matched exactly -- I think that even today no
commercial C++ claims 100% compliance with the standard.  Given that track
record, I doubt anybody will ever find the funds to finance the enormous
collective investment (mostly of people's time) required for the
standardization process.

Alex