Off topic C question

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Sat Apr 13 00:03:18 EDT 2002

>The last thing which I am  bothered with: whether to become a good
>programmer or not. For example, I did never use a struct in C; that
>means my C code is more or less a big spaghetti one. I do not care as
>long as I get the correct result.

Fair enough. Truth be told, a great deal of the rather impassioned
arguments that programmers have involve implicit disagreement over
what _constitutes_ "the correct result". Consider:

For you, you write some code, execute it, couldn't give a hairbrained
rat's ass whether or not you yourself could read it next year.

For others, they care whether or not they can. They'd like to be able
to read their own code in a month, two, a year, and still be able to
figure out what they did.

For other still, they care whether or not their colleagues can.

For even others, they care whether some dummies in a microsoft shop
can figure it out. :)

These are a linear scale taken from just _one_ dimension of one
measure of "correctness".

There are other dimensions.

And I'll leave it at that.

C//