wxPython / Your Experiences in large project ???

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 9 15:22:18 EDT 2002

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:42:47 +0200
Harald Schneider wrote:

> Hi Cliff,
>
> thanks for your answer! On what kind of clients do you run this software?
> My customer has an mixed Win2K, Win98-environment. Especially the Win98
> machines might cause stability probs when running wxPython. Do you have any
> experiences in this direction ?

We had (I no longer work there) a fairly homogenous environment (Windows NT 4.0
SP5) on all the PC's (Linux on the MySQL server).  Win2k should be no problem,
but I've avoided 9x like the plague that it is so I can't give you much insight
there.  I haven't heard of many problems on 98 but I have heard of issues on 95
(which IIRC were resolved by updates from MS).  FWIW, I wouldn't expect
wxPython to cause any additional problems beyond those already present on a 98
PC.

You might browse the wxPython archives to get a better feel for the issues
people have had with it in the past.

http://lists.wxwindows.org/pipermail/wxpython-users/

Also, if you are going to use wxPython, subscribing to its mailing list is a
*must*.  The things that have been said about the documentation are sadly true
(I consider the wxPython demo the primary source of documentation, with the
wxWindows docs being a more complete reference manual but not usable for
learning).

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer