Norton problem

Angus Duncan angus.duncan at btclick.com
Mon Apr 8 12:57:47 EDT 2002

My computer keeps crashing when I download new Norton Anti Virus updates. I undersstand from them that this is due to Python 2.0.
I am not familiar with the program or what I use it for. where would I find it and how can I Take it off when doing new updates.

I attach the message fom Norton.

Error: "An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C02AD9D0... It may be possible to continue normally" when using Python 2.0

Situation:
You are using Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001(NAV) under Windows 98 SE and have Auto-Protect enabled. You have Python 2.0 beta 2 from PythonLabs installed. While using certain features in Python, you see a blue screen with the error message "An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C02AD9D0 in VxD IFSMGR(04) + 000050E4. This was called from 0028:C000B511 in VxD VMM(01) + 0000A511. It may be possible to continue normally."

Solution:
The solution depends on your version of NAV:

NAV 2001
An update is available that fixes this problem. Please run LiveUpdate to download the program update.

NAV 2000
PythonLabs is aware of this problem. The following information is from the PythonLabs Web page:

  "Incompatibility warning: Norton Antivirus 2000 can cause blue screen crashes on Windows 98 when a function in the os.popen*() family is invoked. To prevent this problem, disable Norton Antivirus when using Python. (Confirmed on Windows 98 Second Edition with Norton Antivirus version 6.10.20. The same Norton Antivirus version doesn't have this problem on Windows 2000. Norton Antivirus version 5 on Windows 98SE doesn't have this problem either.)"

For additional information, go to the following Internet address:

http://www.pythonlabs.com/products/python2.0/download_python2.0b2.html

To use the Python program, you can disable Auto-Protect while using Python.

NOTE: If you disable Auto-Protect, then you are no longer protected against viruses when you open or save files.

To disable Auto-Protect, right-click the Norton AntiVirus icon in the System Tray, and then click Disable Auto-Protect. Be sure to enable it again as soon as you finish using Python.