Comment on draft PEP for deprecating six builtins

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Mon Apr 29 20:24:35 EDT 2002

François Pinard wrote:

> For me, sarcasm and strong wording are not welcome.  There are ways to
> disagree, and even disagree much, while staying friendly.

Americans tend to value straight talk.  I put it all under the category of
effective communication.  Being French Canadian, this may be alien to you.

Although I agree with you that sarcasm and rhetorical questions are no
substitute for a logical argument, they can put an effective emphasis on an
otherwise factual and logical post such as Logjam's (or whatever his name is).

Nor is Sarcasm or frank talk necessarily unfriendly.  My close friends tease
each other mercilessly.  After an exchange that grew a bit tense at points,
Steve Holden and I emerged better friends and better acquainted with each other
than I think we would have otherwise.  Many people rely on close friends to
utter the bare truths that mere acquaintences would avoid.

I think you need to... [all together now]... Lighten Up.

> I prefer intelligent discussions between nice people.

Yeah, "Mean People Suck."

Incidentally, by my count, *I* am the only victim of an unprovoked personal
attack on this list today.

Regards

--jb

--