variable substitution

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Apr 24 16:24:10 EDT 2002

Hugh wrote:

> How do I get the %(variable)s thing to work. I need to substitute a
> variable into a print statement so I can send links with sessionId's
> attached back to the browser. I'm trying this at the moment, and It
> says invalid sysntax.
> print '<a href = "addItemType.py?sessionID=%(sessionId)s">Add Item
> Type</a>'

	print 'blah blah %(sessionId)s" % {'sessionId': 'ghlahglahg'}

If you really want everything in your locals stuffed in there, then call

	print 'blah blah %(sessionId)s" % locals()

although you should beware of security issues if the formatting string
is coming from somewhere else.

/  \ Life is one long process of getting tired.
\__/ Samuel Butler
    Interstelen / http://www.interstelen.com/
 A multiplayer, strategic, turn-based Web game on an interstellar scale.