Off topic C question

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Thu Apr 11 04:56:17 EDT 2002

phil hunt wrote:

> That's a fair enough attitude if all you are going to do is write
> the odd 200-line script.
>
> If you are writing larger programs, it rapidly becomes
> self-defeating.

There is an upper limit of code amount which a scientist (normally)
can/would handle. 3000 lines of code is really huge for me. A
professional would laugh.

But I am not sure whether it is a good idea to go with C for a large
project (up to 10000 and more lines of code). Yesterday I was confronted
with a Mie-calculation code which is implemented in C; and you then know
the story with post-fence errors and the like; and that you can access,
in C, every array object even it was never intented for. Surely, nobody
would ever deliberately to this in C, but it happens (and this all the
time).

Though it is possible to write very,very robust code C (for example
Yorick).

S. Gonzi