Python 2.2 unwise.exe

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Apr 16 20:34:42 EDT 2002

> 1. Boot the box.
>
> 2. Install 2.2.1.
>
> 3. Uninstall 2.2.1.

[Bengt Richter]
> What happens if you shut down and boot here?

Nothing visible.  The entire \Python22 directory is gone (including
WISE.EXE) immediately after completing step 3.  After a reboot, it's still
gone <wink>.

> (I'm wondering if there's a deferred delete waiting for a reboot
> which doesn't get cleared by the re-install at 4.)

Of course.  But since the only relevant file in use at the time UNWISE.EXE
is running *is* UNWISE.EXE, and Wise already got rid of it, it appears to be
a Wise bug that it arranges to delete, at the next reboot, any file named
\Python22\WISE.EXE the user happens to create after Wise already got rid of
the original.