Python 2.2 unwise.exe

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Apr 16 20:42:59 EDT 2002

> For anyone playing along, this particular way of provoking the problem
> appears stoppable via inserting step 2a:
>
> 2a: Delete this line from near the end of \Python22\INSTALL.LOG:
>
>    Delete in-use files: On

[Bengt Richter]
> That's good info, but you're not suggesting that as a solution, are you?

It's the only workaround I have, so sure.

> ISTM that would be interfering with a normal and legitimate function of
> installers/uninstallers.

It's no big deal.  It's *intended* to clean up in-use DLLs (like
python22.dll), but they're normally not in use at uninstall time, and
without that line in INSTALL.LOG Wise should visibly complain to the user
that it can't delete an in-use file if one is in fact in use.  I believe
it's a Wise bug that it both does manage to clean up UNWISE.EXE (with or
without that line), yet arranges to do a delete-on-reboot dance on
UNWISE.EXE anyway.

Note that we never had a report of a missing UNWISE.EXE before we moved from
Wise 5 to Wise 8.  One thing that changed along with that was including the
"Delete in-use files" line starting with Wise 8.

> At least that's my theory.
> Why do you think windows always wants you to reboot after
> installing, after all?

I know all that stuff, but it doesn't solve the problem.  Getting rid of the
"delete in-use files" gimmick does.  I don't know whether that's the *only*
problem here, though (Robin Becker seems to think not, but I don't believe
everything I read on Usenet <wink>).