ACCEPTED: PEP 285

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.com
Sat Apr 6 15:13:49 EST 2002

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> Python 2.1 (particularly 2.1.2) is a fine release.  There's no
> compelling reason to upgrade unless you care about the type/class
> unification.  But it's foolish at best to stick your nose into a thread
> about language changes without finding what the current state of the
> language is.
>
> You seem to make a habit of irresponsible posts.  (Remember your
> actions in the comp.distributed brouhaha?)

Ad hominem attacks, such as calling someone foolish and irresponsible are
irrelevant to the issue being discussed and needlessly inflammatory. At 46,
I do try to limit my foolishness and try to act responsibly. But when I
fail (and I do sometimes, despite my best efforts) and I manage to
recognize such failures I try to find the courage to apologize for any
damage done and do what I can to rectify the situation. But I don't yet see
why _I_ have to apologize for being a victim of my published 1.5.2 scripts
breaking on other releases, despite claims of forward compatability.

> The current standard is approximately one release every six months.

If that rate is maintained, then I suspect that in a few years I will have
a lot more company.