python threading

Michael Gilfix mgilfix at eecs.tufts.edu
Wed Apr 17 10:27:21 EDT 2002

  Don't have the original thread so I'll use this one. It's a bit
off topic but... With wxPython, while you want to know how python
threading and its primitives work, you always need to remember to
acquire the gui lock in threads that want to made changes to any
widgets from outside the main thread.  Note this does not apply to
callbacks and other stuff that is really executed by the main GUI
thread. Use wxMutexGuiEnter () and wxMutexGuiLeave () to wrap such
calls but remember to make calculations short because otherwise your
app will seem unresponsive.

                    -- Mike